• Author’s Bakersfield is much more than country music and oil fields
• “You really can get away with murder here”
(Total Recorded Time is 23:35)
The sunbaked streets of Bakersfield. Bodies in the nearby desert. A larger-than-life attorney pulling the invisible strings that shape life in a growing town.
These are some of the locations, characters and events that Sarah Burns has woven into her first novel, one that might do for California’s Central Valley what the late Raymond Chandler did for Los Angeles with his novels of the 1940s and 50s.
This is not the first book for Ms. Burns, but it’s sharply different from her nonfiction works, written as a real-life college professor and researcher in the field of gender and race relations in Bakersfield.
She joins us for this Bizgnus Interview Podcast to talk about her new book, writing and a thinly disguised Bakersfield….
Please click here to watch the Bizgnus interview:
“The central theme is … how the West was won,” Ms. Burns says of her book, “and the fact that it was on vigilante justice and that it’s never really gone away.”
Ms. Burns says the Bakersfield area is rife with human conflict that can be a gold mine for an author. “It’s like a ‘Peyton Place,’” she says, referring to the 1960s television prime time soap opera. “You really can get away with murder here,” she says.
For more information: https://scburns.work/
• Mark Willis says people should bank on themselves
• “When do we ever stop to think about our wants and needs are for ourselves?”
Author and …
• New techniques can be applied at home and work
• “We’d like to think we’re good listeners, but….”
(Total Recorded Time is 6:16)
If you’re trying to communicate better at work, perhaps …
• What Hemmingway can teach beginning authors
• “If you want to be a professional, you’ve got to treat it like a job”
(Total Recorded Time is 27:24)
So you think you can write a book? If …
• New brain patterns can help shed limiting beliefs
• “Everything is based around energy. Everything”
(Total Recorded Time is 16:15)
We’ve heard about IQ. And EQ. Now, says veteran …
• Cult victim grows into a meditation teacher and yoga guru
• MahanKirn Khalsa talks about her life
From poverty and degradation to worldwide …
• Survivor of war-torn Berlin recounts life’s lessons
• An ironic twist to Hitler’s car
For many younger people, the horrors of World War Two are something read about in a history book. …