• How a Central Valley firefighter is trying to stop the wildfire of suicides in the ranks
• Firefighter suicides surpass on-duty death
Total Recorded Time is 14:49
And if that sounds new, it’s not. It’s a trend that dates back nearly a decade now.
But a Kern County firefighter is helping slow that trend. This podcast helps tell his story.
The Firefighter Behavioral Health Alliance says 119 firefighters and 20 EMTs and paramedics died by suicide in 2019, the latest year for which data are available. That compares to 63 firefighters who died on duty the same year, according to the U.S. Fire Administration.
But there is a shift in how the problem is being addressed, led in part by Derek Robinson, who joins us for this Bizgnus Podcast….
Please click here to watch: https://youtu.be/fMh5ur_3KXo
A study funded by the Ruderman Family Foundation of Boston found that rates of depression and post-traumatic stress disorders among firefighters are as much as five-times higher than that of the general population.
For more information:
For the book:
• Firefighter Behavioral Health Alliance: https://www.ffbha.org/
• Stamp Out the Stigma
• National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
• What? You didn’t know? Why this is “The Era of Workplace Fun”
• Fun is serious business in recruiting – and retaining – the best
(Total Recorded Time is 42:43)
Repeat after me: “Work …
• Sales expert finds the 100 most critical sales skills
• “Six key themes emerged”
(Total Recorded Time is 16:48)
You might call him the “Readers Digest” for that aisle of books about …
• If you can’t or won’t sell, is business ownership for you?
• “One of the things I hope the book does is that it prevents people from making the big mistakes”
(Total Recorded Time is …
• Expert says it’s time to ditch the old way of selling – pitching, persuading and pressuring
• “Too often social entrepreneurs underestimate the …
• As nation emerges from COVID, leaders face new challenges to keep employees motivated
• “You’ve got to get in the game”
(Total Recorded Time is 18:05)
In addition to its tragic death …
• What leaders should prepare for
• “People are managing it very differently”
(Total Recorded Time is 15:41)
As the U.S. emerges from its worst …