• Expert shows why workplace diversity efforts fall short
• “If you want to hire diverse people, let them be diverse”
(Total Recorded Time is 20:20)
Despite decades of effort, workplace diversity still seems almost ephemeral. Michelle Silverthorn, an organizational diversity expert, is on a mission to change that.
She says that no matter how much organizations say inclusion matters or diversity counts, leadership in America looks the same as it did a century ago. In the Fortune 500 companies that compile diversity numbers, less than 4 percent of their workforces are racially and ethnically diverse. Additionally, the 2020 Women in the Workplace study of 279 companies found thar white workers occupied 86 percent of C-suite positions.
But hiring a diverse workforce is not the ultimate goal.
“If you want to hire diverse people, let them be diverse,” says Ms. Silverthorn. “Let them use those differences to succeed because that’s why you hired them in the first place.”
Ms. Silverthorn offers ideas to make organizations truly diverse in this Bizgnus Podcast.
• Vito Altavilla tells how he did it
• “It’s more like you’re a chronicler of an age
(Total Recorded Time is 13:12)
Lots of people think they’ve got a book inside of them but few do …
• Only pay and advancement tops clear communications
• “It’s all important that you know which words matter”
(Total Recorded Time is 22:39)
• Expert tells why customer onboarding is as important as the sale
• “Find out what your customers want and need”
(Total Recorded Time is 16:51)
For more than two decades, Donna Weber has …
• A quiet Charlotte family is thrust into Hollywood
• “Writing for me was something that I didn’t share with anybody”
(Total Recorded Time is 18:21)
• Transformation coach points to his own unusual experience
• “I have a mission on this Earth”
(Total Recorded Time is 25:04)
What he describes as a mystical experience has shaped the …
• It’s the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S.
• “When you bring up the word ‘suicide,’ people shut down”
(Total Recorded Time is 26:05)