• Expert shows why workplace diversity efforts fall short
• “If you want to hire diverse people, let them be diverse”
(Total Recorded Time is 20:20)
Despite decades of effort, workplace diversity still seems almost ephemeral. Michelle Silverthorn, an organizational diversity expert, is on a mission to change that.
She says that no matter how much organizations say inclusion matters or diversity counts, leadership in America looks the same as it did a century ago. In the Fortune 500 companies that compile diversity numbers, less than 4 percent of their workforces are racially and ethnically diverse. Additionally, the 2020 Women in the Workplace study of 279 companies found thar white workers occupied 86 percent of C-suite positions.
But hiring a diverse workforce is not the ultimate goal.
“If you want to hire diverse people, let them be diverse,” says Ms. Silverthorn. “Let them use those differences to succeed because that’s why you hired them in the first place.”
Ms. Silverthorn offers ideas to make organizations truly diverse in this Bizgnus Podcast.
• It often boils down to how you look at your staff
• Curiosity about staff can be transformative for a business
(Total recorded time is 19:17)
The ratio of work on business problems to …
• Surgeon creates Hollywood-level recording studio
• Including a Johnny Cash back story
Total Recorded Time is 18:40
Comparing audio recorded on a …
• And they are getting other firms to do it too
• Updating an old saying
Total Recorded Time is 20:07
There’s a saying used by many business …
• Ken Honda explains how angry money is holding you back
• “You can free yourself financially and also emotionally”
Total Recorded Time is 15:30
• Jo Deaton offers 5 ways to stay resilient during the pandemic
• She says none of this is normal
Total Recorded Time is 9:05
It's been more than a …
• UC Merced researchers say covering the state’s canal matrix with solar panels generates savings, helps clear the air
• “Without taking a bit of …