• Why the jobless numbers are not going down
• “Despite a couple positive signals that we’ve seen, there’s some real worry”
Total Recorded Time is 7:49
The Department of Labor said last week that it counted 1.3 million newly unemployed people across the nation. Outplacement expert Andrew Challenger says while some of those suddenly on the unemployment rolls can directly blame the COVID-19 pandemic, more worrisome is that a large number lost their jobs because of the deepening recession.
“As the economy has slipped into an official recession, there are many more sectors of the economy that are starting to see job cuts announced and pile up,” says Mr. Challenger, senior vice president of the outplacement and executive coaching firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas Inc.
On Friday, the California Economic Development Department said the June state unemployment rate had receded to 14.9 percent. That is not encouraging from Mr. Challenger’s viewpoint.
“Despite a couple positive signals that we’ve seen, there’s some real worry,” he says. “Many more cuts are coming from white collar jobs – jobs that had been safe from the brunt of the crisis because they were about to be done from home – are now on the chopping block because companies are facing a real decrease in demand across the board.”
Mr. Challenger talks about the unemployment picture as he sees it in this exclusive CVBT Audio & Video Interview.
• What? You didn’t know? Why this is “The Era of Workplace Fun”
• Fun is serious business in recruiting – and retaining – the best
(Total Recorded Time is 42:43)
Repeat after me: “Work …
• Sales expert finds the 100 most critical sales skills
• “Six key themes emerged”
(Total Recorded Time is 16:48)
You might call him the “Readers Digest” for that aisle of books about …
• If you can’t or won’t sell, is business ownership for you?
• “One of the things I hope the book does is that it prevents people from making the big mistakes”
(Total Recorded Time is …
• Expert says it’s time to ditch the old way of selling – pitching, persuading and pressuring
• “Too often social entrepreneurs underestimate the …
• As nation emerges from COVID, leaders face new challenges to keep employees motivated
• “You’ve got to get in the game”
(Total Recorded Time is 18:05)
In addition to its tragic death …
• What leaders should prepare for
• “People are managing it very differently”
(Total Recorded Time is 15:41)
As the U.S. emerges from its worst …