• Why the jobless numbers are not going down
• “Despite a couple positive signals that we’ve seen, there’s some real worry”
Total Recorded Time is 7:49
The Department of Labor said last week that it counted 1.3 million newly unemployed people across the nation. Outplacement expert Andrew Challenger says while some of those suddenly on the unemployment rolls can directly blame the COVID-19 pandemic, more worrisome is that a large number lost their jobs because of the deepening recession.
“As the economy has slipped into an official recession, there are many more sectors of the economy that are starting to see job cuts announced and pile up,” says Mr. Challenger, senior vice president of the outplacement and executive coaching firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas Inc.
On Friday, the California Economic Development Department said the June state unemployment rate had receded to 14.9 percent. That is not encouraging from Mr. Challenger’s viewpoint.
“Despite a couple positive signals that we’ve seen, there’s some real worry,” he says. “Many more cuts are coming from white collar jobs – jobs that had been safe from the brunt of the crisis because they were about to be done from home – are now on the chopping block because companies are facing a real decrease in demand across the board.”
Mr. Challenger talks about the unemployment picture as he sees it in this exclusive CVBT Audio & Video Interview.
• The epiphany for a veteran salesman
• “Ethical behavior creates dedicated employees and loyal customers”
After years of selling – used cars, lighting supplies, whatever—Joel Malkoff …
• Visual marketing expert Amy Balliett on how to market to the Incredible Shrinking Attention Span
• What’s 60,000 times faster than the printed word?
(Total recorded time is 31:31)
• Why traditional authoritarian approaches no longer fit today’s leadership needs
• Revealed: The five “Cs” to success
Do nice guys really finish last? Not according to Ed Frauenheim in …
• Today’s marketers were already facing exponential challenges. Then came COVID
• The authority on being agile in marketing offers tips, examples and ideas
(Total Recorded Time is 23:48)
• He wrote 60 books while working fulltime as a newspaper editor
• Wes Boyd gave away his novels
• “I’d rather keep working and keep writing …
• Why your organization’s culture may need to be changed – now
• Expert shows why some companies are dragged down by their corporate culture