Ask a manager what’s the hardest part of the job and many these days are likely to say it’s dealing with fearful employees who play it safe at all costs.
Fear of being labeled, fear of their managers, fear of retaliation, and fear of losing their jobs all topped a recent study as to why workers don’t speak up.
But for businesses looking to grow and stay ahead of competition, this silence can come at a financial cost.
“I think it’s more often the case that leaders stoke people’s fears,” Mr. Treasurer says. “They think that ‘if I can just make people afraid enough then they are going to be conscientious enough to do a good job.’
“But in the long run, fear has a detrimental impact on safety, on performance, on morale. If all you’re doing is stoking people’s fears, you’re going to get exactly the opposite impact on what you’re wanting in terms of productivity.”
Our guest on this CVBT Audio Interview podcast is workplace expert Bill Treasurer, author of the bestseller “Courage Goes to Work,” which was re-published in May. In the interview, you’ll hear a definition of courage that may surprise you.
• Former restauranteur knows the real recipe for business success
• “A lesson that’s not just for business, but is actually a lesson for life”
Total Recorded Time is 23:55
Dan Sachs knows …
• Too many in business are letting their creativity languish, expert says
• “Everything about creativity can be learned”
Despite all the talk about innovation, people in business are not …
• Public pension plans are just murder for insider Josiah Vencel
• “It’s nonfiction wrapped in fiction”
There are only a few ways to keep a public pension fund financially viable: …
• No, you’re not immune to bias
• “Work that really does have an impact is when you help people understand the way they’re making decisions”
Howard Ross, a lifelong social justice …
• Expert Jennifer Kahnweiler says it’s time organizations were introvert-friendly
• “You’ll get so much more out of your team if you play to their preferences”
(Total recorded time is …
• How to spot the hidden technology reefs that could shipwreck your small business
• “You can be leveraging technology in the same way that a …