Ask a manager what’s the hardest part of the job and many these days are likely to say it’s dealing with fearful employees who play it safe at all costs.
Fear of being labeled, fear of their managers, fear of retaliation, and fear of losing their jobs all topped a recent study as to why workers don’t speak up.
But for businesses looking to grow and stay ahead of competition, this silence can come at a financial cost.
“I think it’s more often the case that leaders stoke people’s fears,” Mr. Treasurer says. “They think that ‘if I can just make people afraid enough then they are going to be conscientious enough to do a good job.’
“But in the long run, fear has a detrimental impact on safety, on performance, on morale. If all you’re doing is stoking people’s fears, you’re going to get exactly the opposite impact on what you’re wanting in terms of productivity.”
Our guest on this CVBT Audio Interview podcast is workplace expert Bill Treasurer, author of the bestseller “Courage Goes to Work,” which was re-published in May. In the interview, you’ll hear a definition of courage that may surprise you.
• Recession – or worse – ahead, warns economist
• “There’s a good chance we’ll have a recession in 2023”
(Total Recorded Time is 25:02)
The nation’s economy, if not the world economy, is …
• Marine Corps veteran turned author says quantum mechanics points to an inner god
• “I’ve come around to this idea we all have a god inside us”
(TRT is 24:15)
David Richards went from a …
• He taps ancient wisdom
• “So I thought it was time to up end the way we are talking to each other”
(TRT is 20:56)
Elvir Causevic runs a boutique investment bank in San Francisco. But …
• Business coach says even grief can help rebuild success
• “I stumbled upon grief as many of us do”
(Total Recorded Time is 22:37)
Failure and grief can be turned into into personal, …
• David Bentall went through one and has learned
• “It was a very, very painful thing for our family”
(Total Recorded Time is 24:23)
Your children. …
• New writers find it takes more than a turn of phrase
• “It’s one thing that writers should learn early on”
(Total Recorded Time is 17:00)