Ask a manager what’s the hardest part of the job and many these days are likely to say it’s dealing with fearful employees who play it safe at all costs.
Fear of being labeled, fear of their managers, fear of retaliation, and fear of losing their jobs all topped a recent study as to why workers don’t speak up.
But for businesses looking to grow and stay ahead of competition, this silence can come at a financial cost.
“I think it’s more often the case that leaders stoke people’s fears,” Mr. Treasurer says. “They think that ‘if I can just make people afraid enough then they are going to be conscientious enough to do a good job.’
“But in the long run, fear has a detrimental impact on safety, on performance, on morale. If all you’re doing is stoking people’s fears, you’re going to get exactly the opposite impact on what you’re wanting in terms of productivity.”
Our guest on this CVBT Audio Interview podcast is workplace expert Bill Treasurer, author of the bestseller “Courage Goes to Work,” which was re-published in May. In the interview, you’ll hear a definition of courage that may surprise you.
• What? You didn’t know? Why this is “The Era of Workplace Fun”
• Fun is serious business in recruiting – and retaining – the best
(Total Recorded Time is 42:43)
Repeat after me: “Work …
• Sales expert finds the 100 most critical sales skills
• “Six key themes emerged”
(Total Recorded Time is 16:48)
You might call him the “Readers Digest” for that aisle of books about …
• If you can’t or won’t sell, is business ownership for you?
• “One of the things I hope the book does is that it prevents people from making the big mistakes”
(Total Recorded Time is …
• Expert says it’s time to ditch the old way of selling – pitching, persuading and pressuring
• “Too often social entrepreneurs underestimate the …
• As nation emerges from COVID, leaders face new challenges to keep employees motivated
• “You’ve got to get in the game”
(Total Recorded Time is 18:05)
In addition to its tragic death …
• What leaders should prepare for
• “People are managing it very differently”
(Total Recorded Time is 15:41)
As the U.S. emerges from its worst …