• Are “microagressions” poisoning your relationships?
• “Microaggressions, typically, are neither micro nor aggressive”
Total recorded time is 15:55
Every day, people exclude and alienate others – and often quite unintentionally.
This can be as simple as frequently mispronouncing a co-worker’s name. Or it can be more overt, such as avoiding someone who looks different.
Social scientist Michael Baran, senior partner and digital solutions lead at inQUEST Consulting, has been researching the problem.
“Microaggressions, typically, are neither micro nor aggressive,” says Mr. Baran. “What people mean by that is those times when people aren’t necessarily trying to be mean or to exclude people or cause harm, but that’s what the impact is.”
He says that just pointing out the offense to a coworker, an acquaintance, or a stranger can raise hackles. But Mr. Baran says that when the subject -- or an observer -- speaks up, it can be effective.
Michael Baran talks about the problem and solutions business leaders can implement immediately in this CVBT Audio Interview Podcasts.
• Vito Altavilla tells how he did it
• “It’s more like you’re a chronicler of an age
(Total Recorded Time is 13:12)
Lots of people think they’ve got a book inside of them but few do …
• Only pay and advancement tops clear communications
• “It’s all important that you know which words matter”
(Total Recorded Time is 22:39)
• Expert tells why customer onboarding is as important as the sale
• “Find out what your customers want and need”
(Total Recorded Time is 16:51)
For more than two decades, Donna Weber has …
• A quiet Charlotte family is thrust into Hollywood
• “Writing for me was something that I didn’t share with anybody”
(Total Recorded Time is 18:21)
• Transformation coach points to his own unusual experience
• “I have a mission on this Earth”
(Total Recorded Time is 25:04)
What he describes as a mystical experience has shaped the …
• It’s the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S.
• “When you bring up the word ‘suicide,’ people shut down”
(Total Recorded Time is 26:05)