• Just how possible is it to have employees who self-manage?
• Leadership guru Michael Colburn offers tips on how to reach that nirvana
• But Wait! There's more! See below....
For managers who are mired in the nit-picking style of oversight, there is an option they (and their employees) might only dream about: the self-managing worker.
But such dreams are reality with many companies says long-time leadership coach Michael Colburn.
Put formally, “self-management is the ability and the will to act in the best interest of the organization in such a way that intrinsic motivation replaces any external consequences imposed to reward or punish performance.”
But Mr. Colburn can also put it less formally.
“It’s not that I’m against rewards, but if you need a reward – or punishment – to drive performance, then there’s a problem,” he says.
Those who self-manage best are often “people who … really get their jollies out of the work they do,” he says. “If you just see your job as something that you have to do to make a living, [you’re] probably not quite a candidate for self-management.”
Mr. Colburn says his research has led him to five principles that lay the foundation for self-management in the workplace.
Here's the more: Sign up for our daily emailed newsletter. Please click here: https://tinyurl.com/syqft9z
• What? You didn’t know? Why this is “The Era of Workplace Fun”
• Fun is serious business in recruiting – and retaining – the best
(Total Recorded Time is 42:43)
Repeat after me: “Work …
• Sales expert finds the 100 most critical sales skills
• “Six key themes emerged”
(Total Recorded Time is 16:48)
You might call him the “Readers Digest” for that aisle of books about …
• If you can’t or won’t sell, is business ownership for you?
• “One of the things I hope the book does is that it prevents people from making the big mistakes”
(Total Recorded Time is …
• Expert says it’s time to ditch the old way of selling – pitching, persuading and pressuring
• “Too often social entrepreneurs underestimate the …
• As nation emerges from COVID, leaders face new challenges to keep employees motivated
• “You’ve got to get in the game”
(Total Recorded Time is 18:05)
In addition to its tragic death …
• What leaders should prepare for
• “People are managing it very differently”
(Total Recorded Time is 15:41)
As the U.S. emerges from its worst …