• Just how possible is it to have employees who self-manage?
• Leadership guru Michael Colburn offers tips on how to reach that nirvana
• But Wait! There's more! See below....
For managers who are mired in the nit-picking style of oversight, there is an option they (and their employees) might only dream about: the self-managing worker.
But such dreams are reality with many companies says long-time leadership coach Michael Colburn.
Put formally, “self-management is the ability and the will to act in the best interest of the organization in such a way that intrinsic motivation replaces any external consequences imposed to reward or punish performance.”
But Mr. Colburn can also put it less formally.
“It’s not that I’m against rewards, but if you need a reward – or punishment – to drive performance, then there’s a problem,” he says.
Those who self-manage best are often “people who … really get their jollies out of the work they do,” he says. “If you just see your job as something that you have to do to make a living, [you’re] probably not quite a candidate for self-management.”
Mr. Colburn says his research has led him to five principles that lay the foundation for self-management in the workplace.
Here's the more: Sign up for our daily emailed newsletter. Please click here: https://tinyurl.com/syqft9z
• Vito Altavilla tells how he did it
• “It’s more like you’re a chronicler of an age
(Total Recorded Time is 13:12)
Lots of people think they’ve got a book inside of them but few do …
• Only pay and advancement tops clear communications
• “It’s all important that you know which words matter”
(Total Recorded Time is 22:39)
• Expert tells why customer onboarding is as important as the sale
• “Find out what your customers want and need”
(Total Recorded Time is 16:51)
For more than two decades, Donna Weber has …
• A quiet Charlotte family is thrust into Hollywood
• “Writing for me was something that I didn’t share with anybody”
(Total Recorded Time is 18:21)
• Transformation coach points to his own unusual experience
• “I have a mission on this Earth”
(Total Recorded Time is 25:04)
What he describes as a mystical experience has shaped the …
• It’s the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S.
• “When you bring up the word ‘suicide,’ people shut down”
(Total Recorded Time is 26:05)