• Only pay and advancement tops clear communications
• “It’s all important that you know which words matter”
(Total Recorded Time is 22:39)
Abraham Lincoln spoke briefly – perhaps for no more than three minutes -- at a ceremony in 1863 on the battlefield near Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. At the same ceremony, another speaker droned on for two hours.
But for well over a century, Lincoln’s 272-word address is remembered, recited, and even enshrined while no one remembers anything of Edward Everett’s 13,607-word oration.
Definitely, words count -- if you use them correctly. And that’s the point being driven by Joel Schwartzberg, a leadership communications coach whose clients have ranged from American Express to Comedy Central.
But Mr. Schwartzberg adds a layer of nuance to the concept that “words count.”
“In some cases, words count. And in some cases, they don’t,” he says. “That’s why it’s all important that you know which words matter.”
With tips and examples, he joins us for this Bizgnus podcast:
Please click here to watch the interview:
Mr. Schwartzberg’s latest book is “The Language of Leadership: How to Engage and Inspire Your Team,” (Berrett-Koehler Publishers; July 2021).
According to Gallup research only 13 percent of U.S. employees say their leaders communicate well. That is a potentially huge problem since, according to workers surveyed by the Brunswick Group, 93 percent say “leadership that communicates directly and transparently” is what keeps them on the job, topped only by pay and the ability to move up.
For more information: www.joelschwartzberg.net
Bizgnus reports, writes, edits and publishes business news in online, broadcast and printed publications.
We have taken pride in offering unbiased, unfiltered and in-depth interviews with business and other thought leaders since 2005.
No one pays to get on our podcasts. And we don't accept advertising (although Google/YouTube sells ads on our videos.)
And, frankly, that's where you come in. We'd appreciate your support through Patreon. If you’d like to help, please click here: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=56957587
It is not required. We're happy to have you watch and listen even if you cannot support us as a patron.
Thank you for your support!
Our address is 150 Herons Run, #104, Sarasota, Florida 34232. Call us anytime at 209.470.3400.
• Vito Altavilla tells how he did it
• “It’s more like you’re a chronicler of an age
(Total Recorded Time is 13:12)
Lots of people think they’ve got a book inside of them but few do …
• Expert tells why customer onboarding is as important as the sale
• “Find out what your customers want and need”
(Total Recorded Time is 16:51)
For more than two decades, Donna Weber has …
• A quiet Charlotte family is thrust into Hollywood
• “Writing for me was something that I didn’t share with anybody”
(Total Recorded Time is 18:21)
• Transformation coach points to his own unusual experience
• “I have a mission on this Earth”
(Total Recorded Time is 25:04)
What he describes as a mystical experience has shaped the …
• It’s the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S.
• “When you bring up the word ‘suicide,’ people shut down”
(Total Recorded Time is 26:05)
• Your best leaders might not be called manager
• “We like to call those people the ‘sparks’”
(Total Recorded Time is 14:30)
Executive coach Courtney Lynch, who has worked for years with …