The CVBT PODCAST: Coping with burned-out bosses
• Expert says this can be a unique opportunity for those who work for such a boss
• “Burnout is very pervasive now. It’s out there. It’s everywhere”
Burnout at work is so prevalent that the World Health Organization recently classified “workplace burnout” as a disease.
But career guru Vicky Oliver says when the boss is burned out, it can for an opportunity for those who work for her.
“If your boss is burned out and you can somehow ‘step up’ into the void that he or she is leaving I think that can be a great opportunity,” Ms. Oliver says. “I would try to think about how you could turn it to your advantage. You should be subtle.”
Burnout can become contagious as stress becomes palpable and duties are dropped. The World Health Organization says burn out is a syndrome resulting from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed. It is characterized by three dimensions:
• Feelings of energy depletion or exhaustion;
• Increased mental distance from one’s job, or feelings of negativism or cynicism related to one's job; and
• Reduced professional efficacy.
Ms. Oliver, a veteran of writing about workplace issues, says burnout was not as common just a few years ago.
“Today, people are saying that 28 percent of workers feel like they’re burned out. That is a huge percentage,” she says. “Burnout is very pervasive now. It’s out there. It’s everywhere.”
Vicky Oliver talks about the problem of burnout and how to cope with it in your workplace in this CVBT Audio Interview Podcast via Skype:
• Former restauranteur knows the real recipe for business success
• “A lesson that’s not just for business, but is actually a lesson for life”
Total Recorded Time is 23:55
Dan Sachs knows …
• Too many in business are letting their creativity languish, expert says
• “Everything about creativity can be learned”
Despite all the talk about innovation, people in business are not …
• Public pension plans are just murder for insider Josiah Vencel
• “It’s nonfiction wrapped in fiction”
There are only a few ways to keep a public pension fund financially viable: …
• No, you’re not immune to bias
• “Work that really does have an impact is when you help people understand the way they’re making decisions”
Howard Ross, a lifelong social justice …
• Expert Jennifer Kahnweiler says it’s time organizations were introvert-friendly
• “You’ll get so much more out of your team if you play to their preferences”
(Total recorded time is …
• How to spot the hidden technology reefs that could shipwreck your small business
• “You can be leveraging technology in the same way that a …