The CVBT PODCAST: Coping with burned-out bosses
• Expert says this can be a unique opportunity for those who work for such a boss
• “Burnout is very pervasive now. It’s out there. It’s everywhere”
Burnout at work is so prevalent that the World Health Organization recently classified “workplace burnout” as a disease.
But career guru Vicky Oliver says when the boss is burned out, it can for an opportunity for those who work for her.
“If your boss is burned out and you can somehow ‘step up’ into the void that he or she is leaving I think that can be a great opportunity,” Ms. Oliver says. “I would try to think about how you could turn it to your advantage. You should be subtle.”
Burnout can become contagious as stress becomes palpable and duties are dropped. The World Health Organization says burn out is a syndrome resulting from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed. It is characterized by three dimensions:
• Feelings of energy depletion or exhaustion;
• Increased mental distance from one’s job, or feelings of negativism or cynicism related to one's job; and
• Reduced professional efficacy.
Ms. Oliver, a veteran of writing about workplace issues, says burnout was not as common just a few years ago.
“Today, people are saying that 28 percent of workers feel like they’re burned out. That is a huge percentage,” she says. “Burnout is very pervasive now. It’s out there. It’s everywhere.”
Vicky Oliver talks about the problem of burnout and how to cope with it in your workplace in this CVBT Audio Interview Podcast via Skype:
• Why managers need to recognize brain sex
• The “4 C’s” a manager can implement today
• “You can’t ignore gender”
(Total recorded time is 14:41)
In these days of pandemic, every business …
• Music from the heart and heat of World War Two is is being remastered for a 21st Century audience
• “I discovered them while going through his attic”
(Total recorded time is 11:32)
• What leaders can learn from top adventurers
• “The end result if you can work through that conflict and communicate effectively is you get better …
• Management consultant say now is the time for companies to be intensely training the next generation of leaders
• “How do I quickly and …
• Even when working from home, you can strive for a balance between work and life, Fresno State expert says
• “We do better when we’re rested and when we have time away from work”
• Commercial real estate disruptor calls for nore “conscious capitalism”
• “You can create extraordinary success by helping others succeed”
Jonathan Keyser, founder and CEO of the Phoenix, …